CSTAT Scientific Review Form
CSTAT Scientific Review Committee (SRC) asks for information about the study, including title, principal investigator, research aims, methods, and timeline (see items 1 -16 below).
Name of Client (if not PI):
Has there been a prior scientific review? (e.g NIH, NSF, USDA, NCI) no-yes (specify)
The CSTAT SRC will use the following questions to evaluate the project.
Scientific Merit yes-no-NA
- Are the research aims clearly stated?
- Are there 1-3 key references of prior studies to support the rationale?
- Is the research methodology described? (e.g. interventions, procedures, measurements)
- Is there a discussion of strengths and limitations? (e.g. potential sources of bias)
- Is there a data dictionary?
- Is this a pilot study (statistical power calculations not required)?
- Is this a feasibility study (statistical power calculations not required)?
- Is the statistical power sufficient to address the study question?
Human/Animal Subjects Protection yes-no-NA
- If applicable, is the Data and Safety Monitoring Plan adequate?
- Are there any ethical concerns with the protocol?
Feasibility/Resource Availability yes-no-NA
- Are other MSU research units involved?
- Are the study aims likely to be accomplished in the time projected?
- Is the time allotted to study personnel adequate for the proposed work?
- Is the data management plan appropriate?
- Is the study budget appropriate for CSTAT involvement?
- Outcome(s) (e.g. externally funded research, grant proposal preparation, dissertation/thesis, paper, other)
Overall Strengths: __________________________________
Weaknesses (if any): __________________________ (specific items needing revision?)
Recommendation from CSTAT SRC:
- Accept for CSTAT Services
- Defer - revision/clarification required
- Do not accept for CSTAT Services or close case